1224 Initiates
50 The Order
livingangel84

Mallory Kellogg, Chubbygirlreads

"The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you."

Review: Cry, Cry and Cry Some More

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

Right off the bat, this book annoyed me in a way that I always take personally. I've noticed a trend in popular fiction, especially the YA genre, where God is frowned upon or totally not believed in. It's getting old, folks. Really old. I really enjoyed this book. It made me cry over and over again. The only truly negative thing I have to say is about Hazel's refusal to accept there may be something more after death.

This is just my personal observation, but I've noticed people who refuse to believe in God also refuse to "feel" things. Like, in Hazel's case, she just refuses to feel Gus watching over her from heaven or feel his presence around her when she's sad. Maybe it's my Bible Belt raising coming out in me, but I always believe my grandma is watching over me and keeping me safe. I can't fathom that we just die and that's that.

But back on subject, this book was really good. However it didn't "change my life" or anything. But I really felt for the characters and mourned for/with them. The writing was spectacular, especially compared to all the other cookie-cutter YA novels out there. I cried and cried and cried some more. Just because I took issue with Hazel's outlook didn't mean I didn't enjoy this book. I might have to look into John Green's other books.