I know I haven't been saying much on here but this website doesn't always want to load. And with work, bad service and a glitchy website....well, I'm doing my best.
I love M. William Phelps but his books always end up slow reads that I have to do in spells. They're really factual and thorough so they can seem a little dry.
I haven't ever worked in a kitchen quite like these, the big Michelin star kinds with hundreds of covers a night. But I know this shit. And man, don't ever go rolling into some other dude's kitchen and act hot shit. Nope. This is MY house, bitch. Learn your place. My restaurant is small, but I bust my ass to keep learning and improving myself. Like today, I said I want to learn to clean the fryer. Because fryers are universal and knowing how to break one down is important. When my boss wants to teach me something or corrects me I'm grateful because I LEARNED. Anthony like... 21 and think he knows it all? I'm glad they put him in his place, the cheeky asshole.
I have no idea how I feel about this. I wasn't super impressed. I liked it okay but not enough to say "here, you have to read this" to anyone. Less was borderline spineless, always getting cut off mid sentence and never standing up for himself. And then the ending was like How I Met Your Mother. Really? That's how this all ends? Bah.
It's bad. I stress when work is so busy because I never have a chance to catch my breath. Well, right now it's the opposite. I'm stressing because we aren't busy, and you need business to keep the doors open. Today, I worked alone from 6am to about 8:40. I filled 5 orders, all for 2 people or less. I did some prep, then i read for a while, then i did more prep, then back to reading. Then my anxiety spurred me to get up and DO something, so I cleaned and degreased a sink, set up the dish pit, and tinkered with organizing things on the prep table. Then back to reading until my boss came in to relieve me. Lord, it was dull.
Anyway, the book. I can see why everyone liked this. It's witty and well written. I just question Less's decision making. People keep giving him random pills at clubs or recommending drugs that he promptly looks for and takes. Maybe because I'm not in the drug culture and I've had really bad experiences with addiction. Anything but pot upsets me. I lost a cousin to heroin. He was a mule, and a balloon popped in his stomach while he was transporting the stuff across from Tijuana. (No, I swear to God, that is true. I went to his funeral when I was 17.) So drugs being casually accepted and taken without question just....unsettle me.
Other than that, I can completely identify with this man. He's like a Male gay me.
God, I was so damn scared this was it. The big one, Elizabeth!
But we're still alive!!!
Long time, no chat right? Sorry I've been MIA. Things this holiday season were pretty shitty on a lot of levels and I just didn't feel like speaking to anybody much.
So what all happened?
1. My inlaws forgot my 35th birthday until we reminded them 2 weeks later.
2. My Christmas stockings were all ruined when I pulled them out to hang up. A candle had melted all over them.
3. Work has been really up and down so I'm either sitting on mill crates reading or working my ass off without a moment to breathe.
4. Joined the Reddit Secret Santa. I was paired up with someone who never answered any of my messages and had a blank profile until well after I ordered him something. (A gift box sampler of snack foods and candy which everyone agreed was neat). He called it unoriginal, lazy, low effort and generic. (Fuck you. I spent hours trying to figure out what to send someone who literally gave me NO help.) And then the person who sent to me literally gave zero fucks and sent me bookmarks that cost a whopping $4 on amazon. When the spending recommendations was $20. That put me in a terrible mood. I'm probably not doing that shit again next year. The world is full of ungrateful people.
5. My son is 10 going on 17 and has learned to roll his eyes at me. You can imagine how well I handle that.
6. We are going to Disney in March and all my anxiety is going into overdrive. We have to have money for that trip and I'm freaking out.
7. Today i was supposed to see a neurologist because I'm out of migraine shots. They never called to confirm my appointment. So before I drive 45 minutes into downtown I called them. After calling 2 different numbers I find the right one only to learn my doctor LEFT THE PRACTICE back in November. And they "show" i was called, informed and noted the changes. Uh, no. I even double checked my call log. They said Nov 27th was the day they called. Honey, that's the day before Thanksgiving. Y'all ain't in the office. So now I'm pissed. I have proof on my phone I never got the call and now I have no fucking neurologist to see. If they had actually called me when they claim they did I could have made arrangements. They give me the doctor's new number. Nobody answers so I leave a message. I end up calling my PCM and set up a time to come in and start a whole new referral. Then the neurologist office calls back, says yeah they really "screwed the pooch" by overlooking me but they don't even take my insurance now. So I'm still back to square one, with nothing between me and my crippling migraines but cannabis. Here's to praying I don't trigger one before I find a doctor.
8. Also, not as huge but still: I worked 8 months on a cross stitch, was only 1/4 of the way thru. And a cat pissed on it and the pattern so I had to throw it away. I was livid.
It's just been a really hectic time. But I'm working to turn it all around. Here's to hoping 2020 is better? Maybe? sees a Tweet from President Bone Spurs Ah, fuck we are all gonna die.