So I haven't been very active lately. At anything. Instagram or Booklikes. I'm stalling at reading again because I'm back on pain killers, much to my dismay. When you're high as a kite, it's really hard to focus on words. They literally look like they're flying around the page. Sigh. So, this whole year has been really bad for me. But thank God, I have a super husband. He's more than I ever could have asked for. Who would have guessed when I was 11 and we sat next to one another in English class, picking on one another and flirting, that one day he'd be my whole life? I don't know what I would do if I didn't have him here with me.
I'm back to limping, not from my back, but from my bad hip. It's called an SI joint and it's acting up again. I had a pain shot last week but it did nothing. So I saw my neurosurgeon today, thinking he would recommend the surgery to put pins in and be done with it. No, apparently that only works IF THE SHOTS STILL WORK. Instead, I'm going to try physical therapy for a while and pray for the best. I am literally unable to take my son to school in the morning because getting into the car fucking hurts. Walking hurts. What hurts most is the act of standing or sitting. So I tend to just stay in one place and never move. I've become a miserable 80-year-old trapped in a 33-year-old body.
I wave my cane. I'm cranky. I have cats. Yeah.....
Anyway, so I don't see myself finishing IT this month at all, but I am going to get that book done! It's good! Just long. And don't worry! The Winter Chills Book Swap is still on. You know me well enough. That shit will happen. I've bought a lot of cute stuff for it already, so whoever I get will be a happy camper.
Also, I'm just going to say how disappointed I am in Booklikes for their latest blog post. For obvious reasons. Geez, BL, really? That was shameless. You fell for that jerk's bullshit. I would never go to the admin here and ask them to plug my book. That's terrible. It damages our community and our trust.
Finally, fellow Americans, especially females and/or LGBTQ, we're going to have to be stronger than ever. This country is a Dumpster fire.
P.S. I bought this used. And it turns out it's an 80s Book of the Month edition! Lol I'm a current member. Small world, huh? Also, it's signed from a father to his son. And I can only imagine to me it would be like "here, son. Love you. Have a big bowl of nightmares!"
Okay, I don't usually write out my thoughts on movies. I just rant to anyone that listens. But omg, here we go.
I loved the first Bay-formers because it held so much nostalgia and classic Transformers for me. The second was actually pretty good. The third, they killed Ironhide, my fav. And so the franchise could kiss my ass. It really went out the window when they brought in Wahlberg and had Prime riding Grimlock. Like, Bay just threw out all canon stories and gave us fans the finger.
Now, movie 5, which I watched last night:
1. Always having a rotating cast of characters. Stop it. At least we kept Drift and Crosshairs, but every movie seems to bring in new side characters and drop old ones without explanation.
2. Why is Josh Duhamel such a dick? He was their friend!
3. Can somebody explain to me why we have gone the way of Merlin and Arthur in a robot opera? It seems a fucking stretch, even for a science fiction action movie. Also... Merlin was Stanley Gucci, who was also in Age of Extinction. C'mon. Like we wouldn't notice.
4. Random Transformers just being made up. There are dozens of good ones left to use. Why you gotta just make up shitty nothing characters? We still haven't ever seen Ultra Magnus. No, we get Mohawk and Nitro Zues.
5. Where did Bumblebee get Sentinel Prime's hammer? Am I the only one that questioned the random hammer weapon he was waving at one point for no reason? And then it just disappeared after that one scene?
6. Wtf happened to Grimlock? He just sort of disappears about halfway thru the movie. Or did I blink and miss his death. Not even my husband saw him die. So either it was a piss poor death scene or Bay literally forgot a character.
7. The baby dinobots. They were adorable. But they were ABANDONED. Nobody thought to take them along on the escape? No? Oh well. Sorry, Terry and little Grim and Snarl. You're screwed.
8. Bumblebee voice ex machina. He can just speak whenever the times get tough enough, huh? I see. And it's powerful enough to bring Prime back from the brink. Dude. Bad writing.
9. Nemesis Prime. I haven't read the graphic novels yet, although I own them. But as far as I have ever understood, Optimus Prime is the epitome of good. Not always likable but good. What they did to him here was a fucking treasonous mess. Not to mention the name. Yuck. Could you be anymore cliche? And the bad thing lasted all of a blink. Thanks to Bumblebee voice ex machina.
10. CB-7? Okay, if you read the prequel book to the original movie there just doesn't seem any way for Bumblebee to have done that? Or am I totally off? Even my husband agrees. Major plot hole. Bay gives us the finger again. B has a twin. They could have easily just used Cliffjumper, because, again, there's a character we could use. But no...
11. Final battle graphics. Yuck. Some of the cybertron falling out of the sky stuff looked like grade school early 2000s CGI. You're better than this, Paramount.
12. Let's just not acknowledge the millions of deaths that occured. Because the moon being destroyed and Cybertron crashing partially into Earth is going to kill people, even if you stop the worst of the destruction. But, hey, Optimus Prime is back! Yay!
13. Can we NOT make people that believe in science look like idiots? We already have an administration that doesn't believe in science. Can we NOT make the final battle revolve around a scientist being proven WRONG when what he said seemed totally logical and REASONABLE?
I'm sure there's more. Little things. Like why all the sudden Wahlberg and Duhamel teamed up when they had been bitter enemies up until seconds before, or how nobody ever seems to break bones. Or that amulet thing just showing up from space without explanation. Nothing about this plot made sense. The staff controlled the dragon but the dragon did whatever it wanted. So it was pointless. And the little girl was just an obnoxious burden. God, Bay, you are murdering my childhood just like you did Ironhide.
PS 14. Hot Rod's French accent. Late edit: just remembered this terrible detail. Why?! Why give him a French accent!!!
So I stumbled across this woman that makes hand painted signs on Instagram. And she has an Etsy shop that's amazing. Last year she debuted these incredible Hocus Pocus signs and pumpkins. But they were anywhere from $40-65. I never have that kind of money for something like that because I know I can easily make it myself. I never did get to it last year, but I made a point of buying something to paint the cute design on earlier this month. I already owned all the paint and brushes. So today I sat down and did the work.
And it only cost me $5 for the chunky wooden pumpkin from Target. It's painted with acrylics and sealed with Krylon. I love it. Just a bunch of Hocus Pocus, you know.
I saw My Little Pony: The Movie.
It. Was. Awesome.
...if you don't want to know.
That's what I pretty much told the tech support department of a rebate app I use called Ibotta.
I've been having an issue with their app not showing my online Amazon rebates. So I open a claim with them. This is money we're dealing with here. For 4 weeks I have been getting the shittiest customer service from them, and they have no phone number to call. "We show you have X amount of rebates for Amazon. Please remember it takes 45 days for rebates to finish pending. Then the money will deposit into your account." Yeah, I know. What I keep trying to tell them, and even show them with screen shots, is their app is messed up and not showing any of the rebates on my end. Their system may have them but my phone doesn't show them. But I seriously keep getting the same copy/paste answer from every single tech support person. And that's another thing: it's never the same person that responds. And the new person just gives the same damn response without looking to see I have already been told by 4 others that "45 days blah blah blah".
Well, today they send me a survey to ask how I feel about my support experience. Gee. 4 weeks and you fucktards haven't done anything for me except tell me I'm not using your app right, despite the fact I've earned over $135 with them about .25 at a time. Clearly I'm no idiot. Whoever reads that little feedback report is gonna need liquor.
Or they will just copy paste me another answer about rebates and 45 days.
Sketch dump. The art bug bit me hard this week.
(Prince) Josh Winterdale Scream Hawk is one of my current creations. He's of a race of people called dragonites (not to ever be confused with the Pokemon. God, I thought these up before that stupid little monster ever existed). They are shape-shifting beings, dragons that prefer bipedal forms but can change into full four-legged, flying reptiles.
Josh is my therapy, at the moment. He's the first completely gay persona I've written. He's young, driven and prone to trust issues. He's an ice dragon that can summon ice storms from his hands, and he was chosen by the Royal Guard of his home country to be a Dragon Knight, an elite fighter similar to a green beret. At 16, he met the prince and fell in love. They were married at 19.
This is inside my head, folks. Welcome to my world.
But I am dang proud of that drawing. It came out perfectly.
So guess what comes out next week!!!
I am so dang excited!!
So I'm going to read through this box set of Pony books I've had a while. Have a light-hearted few reads before I set to my October Spooky Reads list. I'm a dork, I know. Sue me.
I forgot these books have such beautiful illustrations in them.
Ah, finally a book I can actually get into.
Aaahhh!!!! I finally have it! I've been wanting this book for over a year! Chrissy is my girl crush.
I've been reading this for over a month, and I just cannot find momentum. So I'm just moving on. It's not a terrible story, but it isn't holding my attention. I'm feeling forced to read this, and nothing turns me off more than forcing me to do anything.