1193 Initiates
49 The Order
livingangel84

Mallory Kellogg, Chubbygirlreads

"The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you."

Reading progress update: I've read 123 out of 349 pages.

Dreams of Joy - Lisa See

Joy's naivety is both baffling and frustrating. She seems to be convinced that American propaganda against China was all false and totally skewed. She keeps believing in the socialist way of robbing people of their individual rights and property. And she is getting angry with her dad for being skeptical of Red China. I get the feeling something bad will happen to this girl if she doesn't shape up. Everyone tried to warn her but she's just like every other teen: she thinks she's indestructible and smarter than all the adults.

The fact she doesn't grasp how her bold behavior might bring bad things down on everyone around her is what's the most maddening. Communist China is more about keeping control of its people and brainwashing them than really helping the people, and her simple mistakes could wreak disaster on everyone near her. They like sheep that just keep their heads down.